How does the software update work? What is shown on the OBU screen display during the update?
STEP 1: Download of software in the background = approx. 60-90 min – No task for driver
STEP 2: OBU falls into “sleep” modus = after 30 min of inactivity of OBU. The OBU will then automatically restart (reboot). – No task for driver
STEP 3: Installation of software = approx. 5-10 min – No task for driver
OBU screen messages during installation:
This screen is shown when the OBU stops operating and initiates a reboot.
The OBU LED will change to blinking red and a beep will follow.
The OBU will be shut down.
The OBU reboots showing the “updating” icon.
That clearly indicates that an update installation is ongoing.
Depending on the version of the PCU, the text “updating…” could be displayed instead.
During base software startup the “Welcome” screen will be shown
After base software startup the application is started and the display switches to “configuring services”.
The LED performs a selftest (all LED colors are shown subsequently) and afterwards the LED is red.
At the end of the startup while checking the personalization data the OBU shows “Not ready” combined with a red LED.
The UNKOWN screen is shown during a short period
After the startup a beep will follow. There are several possibilities of OBU screen messages.
Depending on the location of the vehicle and the booked services, the OBU may show the home screen of the toll domain or another message.
In this example, the start screen of Belgium is shown as the OBU is currently in the toll domain of Belgium.
The duration of the download depends on the network availability/coverage and other
parameter such as:
- Type of installation (fixed or flexible).
- Location of the vehicle: toll domain in which the vehicle is during the OTA update.
- The strength of the GPS and mobile network signals.
- The usage (short or long drive)
During the software update the OBU cannot be used for tolling.
- What am I required to do?
- Wait until the OBU is completely rebooted and the light shows green or yellow before driving.
- Leave the OBU permanently on power supply.
- What do I have to do if the update was not successful (LED is RED)?
- Please revert back to the national tolling solution and contact DKV with the exact description and image displayed on the OBU with OBU ID (sticker of OBU backside).
- What will change with the software 4.3?
- Warning message with beep when battery level reaches 25% and 10% (user has to press “ok” to get back to the normal display)
- New menu items „Axles trailer“ and „Weight DEbag“ are always visible, independent of booked service.
- How can I check the current software version?
- Access the main menu
- Select “OBU information”
- Select “Release information”
- Confirm by pressing the right OBU button
- How can I enter the main menu?
- To enter the menu, press one of the four keys on the navigation button (>, <, ˄, ˅) for more than 2 seconds.
- After the OBU has booted the start display is shown.
- To retrieve the stored information, use the navigation button to select various menu items and to scroll through the different menus.
- How can I set/change the trailer axels and weight Germany?
- There is an information screen, if a value has been modified without saving: “Value not changed”.
- Bug fix: If user re-enters the axles or weight change menu without leaving the menu, completely the last saved value is shown.
- Will the new OBU software change the language setting after the update?
- No. The new update will not change the language setting.